[Samba] samba 3.0a rel 17 and ldap support?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Thu Mar 28 05:40:04 GMT 2002

"Lars O.Grobe" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have compiled and installed the rel17 with the ldapsam-option, but testparm
> gives my an "unknown parameter" ldap server = ... So, did I do something
> wrong, or is ldap support broken in rel 17?

No, I simply changed the paramaters and havn't yet finished updating the
doco.

Set 'passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://my.ldap.server'.  Make it ldaps if
you do SSL.

> As I am new on this list, something to me and my use of samba. I am student
> of architecture and working in our students computer lab
> (www.rechnerpool.com) as the person for all ix-like systems (the lab is
> maintained only by students of the dept. of architecture, with currently ).
> We have our fileserver on a Linux-machine (Netfinity 5100) with samba and
> netatalk. At the moment, we have about 50 MacOS9-clients as well as 40
> windows200/98-clients accessing the server. Currently, we use samba-tng 2.6
> to serve the smb-clients. The new group functionality together with ldap
> makes us go back to samba-head as soon as it will be stable enough to make a
> pdc.

Samba HEAD and Samba 2.2 are much more stable than Samba TNG in my
opinion.

As always, no solution can really be considered 'stable' until you have
actually tested it for yourself. :-)

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org