[Samba] Samba-Win2k

Stefan Woelki stefan.woelki at chemie.uni-regensburg.de
Thu Mar 28 05:19:03 GMT 2002

Hi,

i have a problem concerning Samba on RHLinux 7.2. It
would be very nice, if you could help me!?

I have two computers, WIN running Win2k and LIN running
RedHat Linux 7.2 in the same workgroup WORKGROUP. On LIN
samba 2.2.3.a is running. LIN can map a share on WIN without
problems but WIN cannot connect to LIN via samba.
I can see LIN and its Samba server string on WIN (network
neighbourhood). But if i try to map \\LIN\tmp, win2k says that
it cannot connect, because there is no service on the remote machine.
However, smbd -D and nmbd -D are running. The last entries in the
logfiles are:

log.smbd:
   "smbd/server.c:open_sockets(198) waiting for a connection"
log.nmbd:
   "nmbd/nmbd_nameregister.c:register_name_timeout_response(198)
    register_name_timeout_response: WINS server at address
    132.199.18.299 is not responding." and
   "nmbd/nmbd_elections.c:send_election_digram(42)
    send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup
    WORKGROUP on subnet 132.199.51.220"
132.199.51.220 is my samba server.

My smb.conf:

[global]
 workgroup = WORKGROUP
 netbios name = pc50051
 server string = Samba
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 min passwd length = 6
 smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
 wins server = rrznt1
 local master = No
 browse list = No
 debuglevel = 3
 hosts allow = Pc50229  Pc50051
 load printers = Yes
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
 share modes = Yes
 status = Yes
[tmp]
 comment = Temporary file space
 path = /tmp
 read only = yes
 public = yes
[printers]
 comment = All Printers
 path = /var/spool/samba
 browseable = yes

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Dr. S. Woelki
Institut für Analytische Chemie, Chemo- und Biosensorik.
Universität Regensburg