[Samba] Reverse DNS question

Rashkae rashkae at wealthmap.ca
Wed Mar 27 19:38:05 GMT 2002

This isn't really a samba issue, but congrats on having correctly
diagnosed the problem yourself.  With a DNS server configured in
/etc/resolv.conf, your system is indeed trying to reverse lookup the IP's
of your internal machines. Samba itself will do this if you have domain
names in the hosts allow / hosts deny directive of smb.conf.  I suspect
inetd will also perform reverse lookups for services it controls. (I might
be wrong there however.)

The quick and dirty way to get around this is to create an entry in your
/etc/hosts file for all your internal machines.  Some people also set up
their own DNS server instead.  <shrugs>. Being a very lazy person, I just
simply lists my local addresses in hosts.

Mar 27  10:45pm
                       _
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
 - against HTML email  X