[Samba] share access

Gary Ferrer gary at ferrer.yi.org
Wed Mar 27 12:00:10 GMT 2002

I've tired several recommendations on this list to implement what I wanted
to do but it's now working.  So here it is again:

I need to give a Win98 client (which we'll call PC1) behind a Linksys NAT
router access to a samba server on the Internet (the purpose is so that it
can see the samba shares in it's Network Neighbourhood).  The samba server
has a firewall running on it so I can open udp and tcp ports 137-139.
I've setup the samba server as a wins server (wins support: yes).  I've
also setup PC1 so its wins server is the samba server on the Internet.
Here's an extract of my conf:

os level = 65
 lm announce = False
 preferred master = True
 domain master = True
 wins support = Yes
 remote announce = IP of linksys NAT router
 socket address =
 hosts allow = PC1 PC2

I've also setup the linksys router to forward ports 137-139 to PC1 because
of 'remote anounce'.

Have I done something wrong/incorectly?  I'm also wondering about 'hosts
allow'.  PC1 is a netbios name of the remote PC that needs to connect to
the samba server.  The hosts table (on the samba server) maps PC1 to the
IP of the linksys router.  I was hoping to setup a VPN between the two
sites but that seems to be too dificult.  I will probably use stunnel if I
can get things to work.

Thanks.

Gary Ferrer
gary at ferrer.yi.org