[Samba] Regarding killing an application that still has file opened on a smbfs mount.

Louis Lam lsauchun at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 27 00:51:13 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have a question regarding killing an app that still holds on to a file in
a smbfs mount.

When I do that, I get this message on the console:

smb_get_length: recv error = 512
smb_request: result -512 setting invalid
smb_retry: successful, new pid = xxxx, generation=xxx

The above message is repeated.

I'm using the kernel from redhat 7.1 kernel version 2.4.2(ac).

What do these messages mean? Is this the correct behaviour for the smbfs?
Need to know because I'm running a stackable fs on top of smbfs, and trying
to see how to handle this situation.

When this happens the non-root user cannot do much (ls, smbumount etc..).
But if this mountpoint is mounted by root, then she can just "umount" the
mountpoint.

For a non-root user who is doing the mount through smbmount (suid), she can
kill the smbmount process that is running in the background. BTW why is it
that the smbmount program is running in the background (can see from a ps)?

Thank you in advance.

Louis Lam