[Samba] FoxPro/lock troubles with samba 2.2.2/.3a

Barry Smoke barry at arhosting.com
Tue Mar 26 15:44:03 GMT 2002

We use an educational software package called Accelerated Reader, and it
uses a foxpro database.  Our administration uses a second foxpro program
for accounting, but there is only one user for that one....
But Accelerated Reader can have 30-60-100 users at a time, and after
months of research, we figured out how to tweak our server's smb.conf
file to work the best with the program.

We used a veto oplock files =
/arcerttb.*/arclass.*/arenroll.*/argoaltb.*/arhtsqiz.*/arriquiz.*/arrpqu
iz.*/arstu.*/repsttng.*/ripubsi.*/sndmatch.*/student.*/cfg.*/arqbrtb.*/a
rptstb.*/alsbigc.*/

Config line on the share we are using....that is not all the files in
the program, and we found that it was only necessary to veto oplocks on
these files.....because the rest benefited from the oplocks....

When we did this....poof no more AR problems....it has been stable for
months now.

It would have been nice if samba handled these files correctly, and I
sure am going to test 2.2.4 when it comes out, without these lines.....

Great to hear our problems have been duplicated with foxpro files....