[Samba] problems joining domain

Roman, John John_Roman at merckmedco.com
Tue Mar 26 09:10:07 GMT 2002

Hello,

I have a linux computer (Red Hat 7.2) with samba 2.2.3a installed. I'm
attempting to bring this linux computer with samba installed up as a pdc.
My current smb.conf file is as follows.

[global]
workgroup = MEDCO
security = DOMAIN
encrypt passwords = yes
domain admin group = @admins
domain logons  = true

[home]

[printers]

[netlogon]
path = /home/netlogon
write list = @admins

Seems pretty simple and straight forward. But when I try and add a WindowsXP
computer to this domain, I keep getting either a user does not exist, or
domain not found or could not be contacted error message.

I added the appropriate users and trust accounts on the linux computer (Red
Hat 7.2).

If I try and access the files on the linux computer from the windows xp
computer, I am able to do that. It's just when I try and add the windows xp
computer to the domain that I am running into problems.

If anyone could offer any input/help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank You!! .. :-)

John Roman
LAN Engineer
201-782-6770