[Samba] directory permission inheritance

Mark Le Noury markl at bbd.co.za
Tue Mar 26 08:56:03 GMT 2002

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Linux and samba and I am struggling to understand
something.
I have created a share called ricos, and added a group named ricos to the
samba server. I have set permissions on the directory
as follows:  drwxrwxr-- root(user)  ricos(group). I also have another group
called reward on the server. I have set inherit permissions = yes in the
smb.conf file. When a user that is part of the group ricos adds a file or
folder, the permissions on that folder/file are as follows: drwxrw-r-x
username_of_user(user)  ricos(group).
But when a user from another group adds a file/folder the permissions are
like this:  drwxrw-r-x  username(user)  group(group). Where username = the
relevant user and group = that user's group.

Surely setting inherit permissions = yes should set the file/folder to the
group that owned the parent directory? (in this case the group ricos.) I
know that samba won't set the user id on a file or folder - all I want it to
do is to set the group ownership to that of the parent directory - no matter
which user creates a file/folder in the share.

I have not set any force create modes or anything like that in the smb.conf
file.

Could anyone help me to understand what it is that I am not doing or doing
wrong?

thanks alot

Mark Le Noury