[Samba] want to know about samba in linux 7.1

Chris Tooley ctooley at amoa.org
Tue Mar 26 06:41:39 GMT 2002

Well, two things really.  Neither of which are meant to be derogatory,
just informative.  Linux is only at version 2.4, however your particular
distribution may be version 7.1.  Are you using RedHat Linux 7.1, Suse
Linux 7.1, Slackware Linux 7.1 or some other type of Linux version 7.1?
Secondly, the most appropriate place to look for general information
about Linux is either at linuxdoc.org or on the IRC channel for your
distribution at irc.openprojects.org where you can interact with someone
on your particular problems.

For Samba information we are going to need to know a little bit more
about the version of Samba that you are using before we can be of much
help.  Are you using the version that came with your distribution?  If
so it is probably in need of upgrading, but if you just want to know how
to use the version you have, there is also a book that comes with it.
It should be in your documentation directory.  In RedHat Linux this will
be something similar to /usr/doc/samba-<versionnumber> or
/usr/share/doc/samba-<versionnumber>.  There will be an HTML
documentation directory that will have the book available.  Also there
is a copy of it at the O'Reilly website.

Chris Tooley