[Samba] Can't print duplex

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Tue Mar 26 06:40:07 GMT 2002

I am trying to switch over to the new "style" of printing, but when I
do, I loose the ability to print duplex.

I have two servers.  The old one (spike) is setup as a file server, etc.
and the print services date back to the early 2.0 days.  It is currently
running 2.2.2 with the original printer setup.  The printing
works ok with this server.  People can print using features of the printers,
like duplexing, just fine, but each printer setup on each client must be
done by hand.  Once we say that the print has a duplexer, the users can
print double sided.

I have setup a new server (print) that will only be doing the print services.
It is setup the "new way" using 2.2.3a:
      [global]
         workgroup = MtLaurel
         netbios name = PRINT
         server string = PRINT [Print Server on Chuckie]
         encrypt passwords = yes
         log level = 0
         preferred master = False
         local master = No
         domain master = False
         utmp = Yes
         guest account = ftp
         printer admin = @it,gaa
         show add printer wizard = no
         wins server = mtlpdc
         ldap admin dn = XXXX
         ldap server = YYYY
         ldap suffix = ZZZZ
         use client driver = yes

     [print$]
         path = /var/samba/printers
         write list = @it,root
         create mask = 0774
         force create mode = 0770
         directory mask = 0775
         force directory mode = 0770
         guest ok = yes
         browsable = yes
         printer admin = @it

     [printers]
         path = /var/spool/samba
         printable = Yes
         browseable = No

I uploaded the drivers from a Win2k system.  I uploaded the drivers for
Win2k, WinNT and Win9x.

If I select a duplex capable printer (as "gaa") in the "Printers" folder,
I can setup "Duplex Installed".  From a client I can double click the
printer's icon and install the drivers, etc.  When I select the newly
installed printer in the client's "Settings/Printers" folder I can see
that it has a duplexer installed.  However, when I try to print and go
to the "Layout" tab, two sided printing is not available.

Any ideas?

Where are "Device Options" stored on the samba server, anyway?  Where is
the printer to driver map stored?  All I see in /var/samba/printers are
the drivers themselves.

I have tried both "use client driver = yes" and "no".  I see no
difference.

Oh, as to the drivers used:  The ones I uploaded to the server were recently
downloaded from HP.  The Win2k Server CDROM did not have drivers for HP 8100s.
After the "use client driver = yes", the client used had stock Win2k Pro
installed drivers.  I assume the "yes" causes it to use those rather than
downloading from the server.

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ          gaa at ulticom.com             +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054      Fax:+1 856 866 2033

        A self-addressed envelope would be addressed "envelope."