[Samba] Migration

vijendra agarwal vij_agarwal at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 26 03:52:09 GMT 2002

hello

my name is vijendra.i'm working on a project where i
need to migrate NT users and groups to Linux using
Samba.

i made samba as a pdc and it is working well with
proper user authentication.

The problem which i am facing is,on nt workstation
it doesn't show me the list of groups which i migrated
form nt server to samba in permission dialog, but it
list me all the migrated users.

When i click on search button for serching the
migrated group on that domain then it will show the
groupname with the comment Unix local group but it
doesn't default list in permission dialog where as ,
if nt workstation is connected to nt server than it
lists all the golbal groups in permission dialog.

I want the groups to be listed in the permission
dialog box when connected to samba server also.

how do i achieve this?

The second problem that i am facing in the same above
mentioned project is that

After successfully migrating users and groups from NT
to Linux,I wanted user's home directory to be copied
to Linux.On NT ,users are owners of their own home
directories and administrator is not given any access
to those home directories.In order to copy I used the
command
"mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=xyz
//c1/users/home /mn
t/c"

This commands mounts the home directory to /mnt/c.But
when tried to copy the data it doesn't allow to do so
as administrator doesn't have rights to access sub
dirs .
The solution to the above problem is either
administrator should take ownership of those
directories or we should have the user's password to
copy their respective directories.

If there is any other way by which we can achieve
copying through programming in MFC or in Linux please
let me know.

Thank You

Vijendra