[Samba] NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED after successfully joining domain

Dale Peakall dale.peakall at bit-arts.com
Tue Mar 26 03:18:01 GMT 2002

I've successfully added my Solaris 2.8 samba (2.2.2) host to a
2K domain.

The domain is MY_DOM, the PDC is MY_PDC (well they're not, but
I've just done a global sub in this message :-)

However, I get the following error in the log when a user tries
to use a share (or browse the available shares).

rpc_client/cli_netlogon.c:cli_net_auth2(160)
  cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
rpc_client/cli_login.c:cli_nt_setup_creds(72)
  cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
smbd/password.c:connect_to_domain_password_server(1372)
  connect_to_domain_password_server: unable to setup the PDC
  credentials to machine MY_PDC.  Error was :
  NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1591)
  domain_client_validate: Domain password server not available.

Here's my config file:

[global]
	workgroup = MY_DOM
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	security = DOMAIN
	password server = *

[test]
	comment = test share
	path = /home/test
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

The users I've tried to login with exist on both the 2K domain and
the samba host.

Other problems I've encountered (that may or may not be relevent):

1. Despite "guest ok" on the share, every time I try to connect
   from my 2K/XP boxes, I get the login dialog.
2. Trying to run smbpasswd as a user asks for old password (which
   there isn't) and always fails with "machine 127.0.0.1 rejected
   the password change: Error was : The specified password is
   invalid.  Failed to chnage password for my_user".

Thanks.

	- Dale.