[Samba] Samba & AFS support, printer sharing

Fabian Aichele faichele at primusnetz.de
Mon Mar 25 11:55:29 GMT 2002

Hello!

I have two questions, one concerning Samba's AFS support and one concerning
printing via Samba.
OK, printing first:
Samba server is 2.2.3a, spooling system is CUPS.
My samba server shares two printers to several Windows 2000 workstations,
printing for unauthenticated users via guest access is enabled. Print jobs
are accepted and printed without problems. But when trying to display queued
print jobs from the W2k hosts, Windows 2000 only reports "Access denied".
Several google searches gave me some hints that this problem might be caused
by wrong Unix permissions on the printer spooling directory and/or the
membership of the connecting user in a Unix group that has access to the
printer spooling directory on the Samba host. Is this correct, i. e. do I
have to modify the access rights of the printer spooling directory and/or
add my user accounts to the group owning the printer spool directory?

Second question: AFS.
On another host, I tried to compile the samba tarball with AFS support
(configure ... --with-afs).
The compilation fails with "undefined references" in an AFS library
(archive?): libauth.a.
These references concern two functions __dn_expand and __res_search. A
"grep" under /usr/include where my experience told me to look for the
corresponding C function prototypes yields that these functions are defined
in /usr/include/resolv.h and/or /usr/include/bind/resolv.h: They seem to be
part of some name resolving library (BIND...).
I tried
#include "/usr/include/resolv.h" and
#include "/usr/include/bind/resolv.h" (only once per attempt) in the
suitable AFS source file and recompiled AFS (which already worked without
these modifications), but Samba compilation kept failing with exactly the
same error.
How do I tell Samba's configure and/or make sequence where to look for the
obviously missed function definitions?
Or isn't it Samba that causes this problem?
Sorry for the question; I am able to compile C sources, but I am not a
professional C programmer.

Regards,

Fabian Aichele