[Samba] Naming convention in Samba

Juri Ahokas juri.ahokas at ktl.fi
Sun Mar 24 22:46:03 GMT 2002

Hello again,

Only wondering about one little (?) thing...

As some may remember I had a major problems about setting up winbind with my
AD domain. Secret was bad and wbinfo -u also gave errors. What I did was
that I changed my domain name from dotted name (TEST.ORG) to old-fashion one
word domain (TEST). Then I changed domain name from smb.conf and suprise
suprise everything was working ok. (As for info I´m using newest samba
version and "+" as a separator)

Why on earth it doesn´t take dotted name???

Another annoying thing is that in my other testcase where domainname is
TEST2.ORG(which is pure samba thing no winbind involved) if You browse
network neighbourhood in windows all other machines are under name TEST2 but
samba server is found from TEST2.ORG. Any chance to get them to be found in
same place?

Even though this email may sound like big whining I REALLY impressed about
what an superb piece of program samba and winbind really are. Maximum
respect to all whom may take credit for it:-)

Cheers,

Juri Ahokas