[Samba] samba 2.2.3a & winbind - "smbmount" binary is missing

Sarris, Chris Chris_Sarris at csgsystems.com
Fri Mar 22 15:32:03 GMT 2002

Hello,
I have been able to get samba-2.2.3a & winbind working on a RedHat 7.2 box
in a Win2000 Domain but I cannot mount W2K shares from my Linux box with :

mount -t smbfs -o username=  -o workgroup=  //server_name/share
/mnt/mount_point

I keep getting this error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superbock on //server_name or too many
mounted filesystems

Upon trouble shooting this, I noticed that smbmount was not present in the
/samba/bin directory.... and it was nowhere on my computer anymore.

I untarred samba-latest.tar.gz on another computer thinking that I had
somehow mistakenly deleted this command ... and it was not created on the
2nd computer either......

Is samba no longer using smbmout.... the mount command seems to call this to
mount SMB fileshares... is there something else I should be using?

I can connect to my share with the smbclient command... and that (and all
the rest) are in the /samba/bin directory.

Any ideas?

Thanks alot,
Chris