[Samba] Is Samba Slow?

Pablo Alcaraz pabloa at mbasystems.com.ar
Fri Mar 22 10:13:07 GMT 2002

I installed samba 2.2 cvs version in a file server. The configuration is:
- AMD k7 1.2Ghz
- Asus kt133
- 3 IBM 7200 IDE HD 80 gb with LVM and Ext2/3 volumenes
- 1gb RAM
- Redhat 7.2 + kernel 2.4.16 + acl patch
- 2 Ethernet Card 10/100 3com (but I only use one. Can I use the 2
cards? How?)

The problem is: Samba is slow (4,5mb/s) compared with Novell (6mb/s),
Windows (5.5mb/s) or ftp (8mb/s).
The network benchmark test (netio) that I ran gave me 11.4mb/s
The disk benchmark (hdbench 0.14.1) gave me 30mb/s read and 27mb/s write

With the samba test I used smbclient and smbmount from another linux box
identical to the server. The volumen was and lvm/ext2 volumen.

I know that samba always is compared with ftp transfers so Why do I get
only 4.5mb/s if ftp give me 8mb/s?
The current speed (4.5mb) is not acceptable for us because Novell gave
us better perfomance with less hardware (pentium II 266mhz).

I have a lot of pressure to upgrade the novell server to the new
hardware (I wish to replace 2 W2k file servers and 1 Novell server with
this linux box :-)

If I can not speed up samba at least to 6mb/s (Novell time) I'll have to
return to the novell server. And I don't want to do this :-((

Please help!

I send my smb.conf file.
If you need more information please tell me!

Pablo

[global]
    workgroup = MBA
    netbios name = ASGARD
    server string = Samba Server
    security = DOMAIN
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    password server = ntmba
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    log level = 0
    max log size = 2000
    # # socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    # socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384
SO_SNDBUF=16384
    # socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=32768 SO_SNDBUF=32768
    dns proxy = No
    wins server = 192.168.1.70
    name resolve order = wins host bcast lmhosts
    invalid users = root bin daemon adm sync \
                    shutdown halt mail news uucp operator gopher
    printer admin = @mba_administradores
    show add printer wizard = No
    code page directory = /etc/codepages
    time server = Yes
    deadtime = 30
    read size = 32768

[mail]
    available = No

[homes]
    comment = Directorio Personal
    read only = No
    browseable = Yes

[printers]
    comment = Todas las Impresoras
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = Yes
    printer admin = @mba_administradores
    browseable = No
    # available = No

[print$]
    path = /usr/local/samba/printers/
    guest ok = No
    browseable = Yes
    read only = Yes
    admin users = @mba_administradores
    write list = @mba_administradores

[pro_sfm]
    comment = \\odin\sfm
    path = /mnt/mba/produ/produ
    valid users = @mba_produ_sfm @mba_sana @mba_desa @mba_admi
@mba_administradores
    # oplocks = No
    veto oplock files = /*.nfo/*.NFO/*.dbf/*.DBF/*.cdx/*.CDX/*.fpt/*.FPT
    read only = No
    create mask = 0666
    directory mask = 0777
    force group = mba_public