[Samba] Is there a timeout Problem ?

Michael Ehlers mehlers at adata.de
Fri Mar 22 06:47:05 GMT 2002

Hello,

some of our costumers are printing with a SuSE Linux 7.2 in an existing
printqueue
who is connecting the smbprint-script using the smbclient command. When
we print in this queue the print job can not be printed on an Windows98
printer share. When we modify the smbprint it works, but we must wait
before
print job starts:

# NOTE You may wish to add the line `echo translate' if you want automatic
# CR/LF translation when printing.
        if [ $TRANS -eq 1 ]; then
          echo translate
        fi
        sleep 5                    < New/Modified entry
        echo "print -"
        cat
) | /usr/bin/smbclient "\\\\$server\\$service" $password -U $server -N -P
>> $lo
gfile

With the sleep command we can print on several printers. Output of
smb-print is
like this

smb: \> print -
putting file - as stdin-17322 (65.2 kb/s) (average 65.2 kb/s)
server Corex06, service Drucker06
Fri Mar 22 13:44:58 CET 2002
added interface ip=192.168.1.50 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0

Without sleep we can get a connect, but we get output to smb-print.log
like:

smb:\> öakljdsfjadfööakjdsfkj <the print data>

Is there any timeout problem ? But how can we solve this problem without
using "sleep".

Thanks for quick answer

Best regards

adata Software GmbH/Germany