FW: [Samba] Memory leak in winbindd

Noel Kelly nkelly at tarsus.co.uk
Thu Mar 21 13:56:03 GMT 2002

Jeremy,

Unfortunately the 2.2.4pre winbindd seems to drop out as 2.2.3a did.  I have
had at least four restarts today when winbindd has become unresponsive and
stopped retrieving users/groups from the DC.

As requested I have kept a log of winbind's size in memory and the size of
the winbindd cache file.  It is a bit rough and ready but you can see that
it a common pattern seems to be that it is when the cache file reaches 80K
and winbindd has grown substantially that it fails. (attachment not sent to
list)

The anomaly here is that there have also been a couple of times today when
winbind has not been able to answer queries but seems to recover and
functions again for another half and hour before it dies properly.

The log level is not high so I did not attach those.  Also note that I was
not stressing winbind with Ken's script (while wbinfo -t > /dev/null; do
/usr/bin/true; done) but just letting it do its thing on the network.

Let me know if you need anything else or want me to increase the log level
for this - I can do if necessary.

Regards,
Noel