[Samba] Samba authentication without unix account?

Galella, Anthony anthony.galella at intel.com
Wed Mar 20 12:27:02 GMT 2002

Thanks Don, this worked perfect!

Anthony J. Galella
anthony.galella at intel.com

-----Original Message-----
From: MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) [mailto:don_mccall at hp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 2:57 PM
To: 'Galella, Anthony'; 'samba at lists.samba.org'
Subject: RE: [Samba] Samba authentication without unix account?

Hi Anthony,
What you could do is set your server up in smb.conf global section with:

security=server
(note:security = server doesn't require you to 'join' the nt domain.)
password server = <NT Domain controller name>
username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/user.map

Then make your user.map file, to map any pc username to the unix user
smbuser:
Contents of /usr/local/samba/lib/user.map:

smbuser = *

(make sure that you create the user 'smbuser' in your /etc/passwd file as
well).

Finally, make sure that you specify 'public = no' in your share definition,
so that if authentication of a username to the NT domain controller fails,
they won't get in as 'guest'.

Hope this helps
Don