[Samba] Problems with offline files and Explorer 'hangs'

Damir Dezeljin programing at nib.si
Wed Mar 20 09:21:23 GMT 2002

Dear gentelmans.

> What POSIX call do we use to detect an offline file ?
I think that there are more possibilities to implement offline file
attribute in SAMBA:
- The simplest is to use an extended attribute on an EA capable FS (this
can work on various platforms that implement EA . Linux, IRIX,
Tru64Unix,...);
- The other possibility is it to use one of reserved ext2fs flags
(http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/doc/filesystems/ext2.txt.html), but
this way the implementation will be ext2 / ext3 specific. BTW: One of this
fields is a .commpression. attribute which can be setted by 'chattr +c'
(compressed files are colored blue on NT).

Regards,
Dezo