[Samba] Password Expiration

Jim Morris jim at morris-world.com
Wed Mar 20 08:02:04 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 09:52, David Brodbeck wrote:

> If you resort to writing your own method of letting people know their
> passwords are about to expire, you might look into doing it with a WinPopUp
> notification.  I'm not sure if a WinPopUp client runs by default on 95/98,
> though if it doesn't you could probably launch one from the login script.
> We thankfully don't have many of those machines here, we're mostly an NT 4.0
> shop.

Unfortunately, most office PC's I run into are still running Windows 98
in small to medium size companies.  If the machine came with Windows ME
or something newer, it often gets wiped and reloaded with Windows 98.
Unfortunately, WinPopup is not loaded by default on most Windows 98
systems, and you have to add it using the Add/Remove Programs in the
control panel.

I would write somethign that could run and display a dialog somehow on
the clients at login - but I am not sure there is an API call I can make
that will tell me how soon a UNIX password is going to expire!  I am
fairly certain there is nothing I can do from the Windows API to check
it...

> Even NT isn't perfect when it comes to password expiration.  If you manually
> expire someone's password while they're logged in, they aren't notified of
> what happened until their next login, but Exchange and other services that
> do network authentication cut them off immediately!

Hmmm. This is useful information to know. Thanks!

--
| Jim Morris  |  jim at morris-world.com |