[Samba] NT Acls

Jason Stewart jstewart at rtl.org
Wed Mar 20 05:55:02 GMT 2002

Hi Bill,

It wasn't really that easy to get ACL working on my machine. The first
thing I did was to set an ACL on a file on the server using the setfacl
command. It works, so I know that the ACL utilities and patches are working
correctly. Next I checked my include/config.h file in the samba source
directory to see if in fact that POSIX ACLs is defined. In your
include/config.h file, you should see:

#define HAVE_POSIX_ACLS 1
#define HAVE_LIBACL 1

Both should be uncommented. I found that I had both of these, so the
configure script found the ACL utilities that I had installed on my system.
Next I checked the output of config.log to see if my binary was linked with
libacl. Yup, it was and if there was a problem, the compiler would have
spit out a link error.

Basically, everything looked good, and should have worked just fine (but it
didn't), so I recompiled. I tried out the new binary, and that didn't work
either. I am almost embarrassed to admit that the problem only arose out of
my own absent-mindedness. I am so used to restarting the smdb daemon with
-HUP that i forgot to kill the old binary and start the new one fresh. It
came down to something as simple as that. Doh!

Good luck in your adventure,
Jason Stewart
Systems Administrator/Programmer
Right to Life of Michigan