[Samba] Samba Hang.

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Mar 20 04:13:04 GMT 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Gavin Button wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running RedHat Linux v7.2, which comes with samba client 2.2.1a-4 and

Kernel version?

First try upgrading to the latest RH errata kernel. If that doesn't work
then try 2.4.17 (not .18) or 2.4.19-pre.

> samba-common 2.2.1a-4. I have setup a samba mount to a Windows NT server
> v4.0 via the fstab. Initially the mount seems to work ok, I can view files
> and copy small files to it. But when I do anyting which involves copying a
> larger volume of data to the mount point, the Linux machine freezes (i.e.
> will not accept anymore input). I have tried upgrading tothe latest version
> on the samba website, samba-2.2.3a20020206, but the problem still persists.

Samba is not causing the freeze (and by freeze I assume you mean that
nothing happens, even if not related to the copy operation).

smbmount is only a mount and connect tool. It does not do any work when
files are listed, copied, etc, all of that is smbfs.

/Urban