[Samba] Users suddenly can't log in!!!

Morgan Toal morgan_toal at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 19 19:16:05 GMT 2002

Hi there,

I have a problem at our branch office. We have users on Win98
workstations who are suddenly unable to log in under their previously
working accounts.

The account will not log in on their workstation.
The account will not log in on any other workstations.
Ohter accounts do work on the problem-user's workstation.

The username and password for the account are valid; I can ssh to the
samba server and log in successfully via telnet and smbclient to 127.0.0.1.

I did restart samba.

I created a new account for the user. I did verify smbpasswd contained a
correct entry. New accounts will not log in either!!!

I have a local caching DNS with a reverse zone set up, I have all the
relevant IP's and hostnames in /etc/hosts too.

When logging in, the user sees the "black box" of the MS-DOS prompt
appear, but it quickly disappears, no messages (i.e. output of net use
commands) appear. Apparently, and I have verified this through the logs,
and through smbstatus, the user is in fact connecting to
//server/netlogon. However, logon.bat never executes,  no drives are mapped.

Attempts to manually map drives are met with "user not logged in".
The user CAN browse in network neighborhood, but our applications
unfortunately require drive mappings.

Of course, they can use another account and it works just fine, but this
is not really acceptable down the road.

Can anyone give me some clues as to what to look for at this point?
I'm going crazy! :) Thanks!!!

--- mtoal