[Samba] Password expiration question

abartlet at samba.org abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 19 16:57:04 GMT 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 02:56:49PM -0600, Terry Davis wrote:
> I am in the same exact situation...I was also looking for an answer to
> this.  Thank you for any help!
>
> On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 03:56, Viktor Posta wrote:
> > Hi all !
> >
> > Enviroment: Redhat 7.2, Samba 2.2.3a as a PDC
> >
> > Is it possible somehow to set a password expiration on the
> > Samba PDC or to force the user to change password at next logon ?

Samba 2.2 when configured --with-pam and having 'obey pam restritions = yes'
in the smb.conf will inteprate the 'must change now' PAM error code and
return it to an NT/Win2k client.

This doesn't work with Win9X, in 2.2.

In Samba 3.0 alpha we have proper support for this, an if you have an LDAP
passdb backend (or use the PAM setup as per 2.22) we can return the correct
'must change now' codes to both clients.

Andrew Bartlett