[Samba] Two questions

Rafael Gallego rgallego at correo.uniovi.es
Tue Mar 19 10:41:08 GMT 2002

Hi,

I am a new samba user, and after reviewing the samba documentation, I don't
know how to perform two tasks from the point of view of the server. I guess
the first one is much easier than the second one.

On the one hand, my first question is relative to services that require
explicit username and password. Does the username have to be a valid Unix
user? If not, how should I set up such a share?

On the second hand, I would like to know if it is possible to share a
directory to which clients (Window NT & 2000) can move files but they cannot
delete them (although the could overwrite them). I know this is possible
under Windows 2000.

I am running samba 2.0.10 under red hat linux 7.1.

Regards,

Rafa Gallego