[Samba] Limiting users to log in from one workstation at a time

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Tue Mar 19 05:35:03 GMT 2002

"Homann, Mathias" wrote:

> Danie Roux wrote:
> >
> > Hope would I limit users to login from one workstation at a time only? I
> > have a problem where one student would log into 4 PC's and abuse the
> > network. I'm running Samba 2.2.3a as a PDC for windows NT.
>
> Why don't you just disable that fools account, then when he comes to ask
> about his account, drag him to the dean and have him flogged.
>
> <BOFH>
> you could also set him a special logon script which a) erases his $HOME
> and b) sends naughty winpopup messages around the net under his account
> (evil email to the dean would be as effective)
> </BOFH>
>
> Yes, I know, that is NO solution for the fact that a single user can log
> on more that once, but you said 'abuse the network' so killing off that
> l0ser has priority...

One solution is to use PAM.  There are pam modules that lookup utmp
records for this kind of thing - so you probably also want --with-utmp.

This is enabled with --with-pam to configure, and 'obey pam restrictions
= yes' in your smb.conf.  You will need to then configure an
/etc/pam.d/samba file - look at what you can do as a session module.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net