[Samba] Windows 98 Explorer still can't copy larger files to Samba share

steve2 at learnpower.com steve2 at learnpower.com
Mon Mar 18 22:29:03 GMT 2002

I recently installed 2.2.3a in the hopes of fixing the problem I have when copying files
from a Windows 98 box to a Samba share running under RHL 7.2.

I can browse the share, read files, and write very small files (under 1KB), but when trying
to store a larger file into the Samba share, it starts the copy, shows the busy cursor for
a while, and then pops up a dialog box with a message such as
 Error Copying File
 Cannot create or replace test.txt: The specified network resource or device is no longer available.

After dismissing this dialog box, I can see that the file was created, but that no data was stored
for it.  The file name appears in the share with a size of 0 bytes.
Nothing shows up in the log files about this.

I've tried adjusting settings for the create mode (750), and a few other things,
but nothing seems to fix the problem.

Is anyone else having this problem, or is there still a problem with my configuration?

--Steve