[Samba] failsafe against "stupid" / careless users

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Mar 18 18:57:18 GMT 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 09:27:32AM +0100, Dirk Allaert wrote:
> Are there any plans to get something like this in 2.2.4 ?
>
> Adam Ellis wrote:
> > Lasse,
> >
> > I've not tried this personally, but this site has a patch to do such a
> > thing:
> >
> > http://www.amherst.edu/~bbstone/howto/samba.html

I've just finished adding the recycle bin as a VFS
module into Samba 2.2.4. (the SAMBA_2_2 CVS tree).

To use it, compile smbd as normal and then cd into
examples/VFS and type make. It will create a recycle.so
library (at least under Linux).

Copy this to somewhere like /usr/local/samba/lib/recycle.so
and then add these options on a per-share basis to enable the
recycle bin :

        vfs object = /usr/local/samba/lib/recycle.so
        vfs options= recycle=.recycle

Please test this out and see if it works for you - this
is a good example of how to write and use a Samba 2.2.x VFS
module.

Let me know,

	Jeremy.