[Samba] HELP!!

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Mar 18 06:32:15 GMT 2002

Hi Thamara,
this is a common issue with both Solaris 8 and HP-UX.  For security reasons
(I believe) both of these os'es have chosen to limit the 'pluggability' of
'methods' for nis stores to 'known' methods.  This in part prevents things
like administrators locking themselves completely out of their machines by
mispelling or putting in nsswitch lines that can NOT be satisfied.
Unless the vendor agrees to change this policy and make changes is the os
code modules (like libpam_unix), I'm afraid you're stuck with this.
One of the list members hacked around this by wrapping the 'passwd' command
with a script that moved the nsswitch.conf file with the 'offending lines'
out of the way, executing the passwd command, and then moving it back in
place....

Hope this helps,
Don