[Samba] samba authenticating via nis

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Sat Mar 16 04:50:05 GMT 2002

 awesome-dave1 at juno.com writes:

>	I've got a fbsd and a linux box, v 4.5 for the former and rh 7.2
> for the latter. They're going to be sharing passwords via nis, i was
> wondering if samba 2.2.x is capable of authenticating connecting users
> via nis or perhaps via some other means? Thansk. Dave.

If Samba is running on a machine that authenticates by NIS, then Samba
will use NIS also. You might have to set "encrypt password = no" in the
smb.conf, but I thought that was the default anyway. The main "gotcha" is
that the Windows clients registry must be set to "enable plaintext
passwords".

As I recall, Linux and RH default to different password encryption
methods, so one has to be modified for NIS to work between them.

Hope this helps.