[Samba] Windows/Samba printing error

Joel Barnett joel at allegro-music.com
Fri Mar 15 15:33:06 GMT 2002

I'm running Samba 2.2.1a with Cups as the printing backend.
Setup is standard [printers] with path = /var/spool/samba,
printing raw with client side drivers. Clients are W95/W2k.
Dot matrix printers are attached and shared from W95 boxes.
Printing works fine except in one circumstance.

A program creates print jobs for invoices and address labels,
like this:

begin loop
set printer to \\samba\invoiceprinter
send invoice printer data
set printer to \\samba\labelprinter
send label printer data
end loop

The program prints a range of invoices/labels as specified by
the user. This blows up with an error that I can work around
by adding a 5 second pause after each print command, which
ties up the pc for quite a while when a lot of invoices are
being printed. This code worked fine when we were using
Netware queue based printing, no pause was necessary.

If anyone has an idea for fixing this, I would be grateful.
Otherwise, the program and a dozen others like it will need to
be rewritten.

Joel Barnett