[Samba] 2 Samba problems (oplock & hosts allow)

Dan Moinescu danmoinescu at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 08:40:05 GMT 2002

Hello everybody,

I have 2 questions about Samba operation:

First, hostnames don't work in my "hosts allow"
directive, although smb.conf(5) explicitly says "You
can  specify  the  hosts  by  name or IP
number". If I specify a client by its name, that
client is not allowed access, even though the server
can do reverse DNS on the client's IP. The message I
get in the log file looks like this:

[2002/03/14 13:33:36, 0]
lib/access.c:check_access(324)
  Denied connection from  (192.168.127.201)

In the above example, host 192.168.127.201 is listed
in the server's /etc/hosts file, so reverse DNS for
the address works.

The second problem is that I experience huge delays
when I try to open a MS Word file from the Linux
share. MS Word hangs for about a minute, then
everything comes back to normal. The log message I get
is:

******************************
[2002/03/14 13:38:07, 0]
smbd/nttrans.c:call_nt_transact_ioctl(1776)
call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented.

[2002/03/14 13:38:53, 0]
smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(795)

oplock_break: no break received from client within 30
seconds.

oplock_break failed for file test.doc (dev = 3, inode
= 1477040196).

[2002/03/14 13:38:53, 0]
smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(841)

oplock_break: client failure in oplock break in file
test.doc

[2002/03/14 13:39:31, 1]
smbd/service.c:close_cnum(678)

auckland (192.168.127.201) closed connection to
service home

*********************************

a 'testparm -s |grep oplock' command shows:

kernel oplocks = Yes

oplock break wait time = 0

veto oplock files =

fake oplocks = No

oplocks = Yes

level2 oplocks = Yes

oplock contention limit = 2

I believe some of the above settings must be changed,
but I don't know which
one(s).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,