[Samba] How does samba handle multiple group file entries of the same name?

GHCebulka at uss.com GHCebulka at uss.com
Fri Mar 15 06:47:31 GMT 2002

Hello all,
      I have ran into the following problem running samba 2.2.2 on a SUN
running Solaris 7.  Sun has a limitation on the length of a line for a
group entry in the /etc/group file of 512 characters. Sun also has no plans
to fix this problem. It turns out that Compaq Tru64 has the same problem.
Sun and Compaq's solution is to create multiple entries in the group file
when a group line gets over 512 characters. It seems that samba does
recognize this a valid method and if a user isn't in the first occurance of
the group entry, it will deny access to that user, even though, the user is
in the next entry for the group name.
    I could take all of my users and add them to unique groups and then add
the groups to valid users list or change all of the user's primary group in
the password file, but, I'd rather note do this for various reasons. Mostly
involving the amount of paperwork that I'm going to have to submit.
So does anyone know of a work around?
     Thanks,
     George Cebulka
     Sr System Administrator