[Samba] Windows XP and desktop.ini

Brian Ruth ccaabra at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 15 06:39:36 GMT 2002

I've been having some problems with Samba 2.2.3a running on LinuxPPC acting
as a domain controller for a WinXP client.

The problem occurs when logging into the XP client; a file called
'desktop.ini' is opened in Notepad, and a number of the start menu entries
also develop copies of desktop.ini.

A quick check of the locally stored copy of the profile reveals that these
desktop.ini files are supposed to be there, but have the hidden attribute
set. I've configured my 'profiles' share in smb.conf to have 'map hidden',
'map archive' and 'map system' set to 'yes', and the 'create mask' is set
to '0711', so should permit this to work. To test it, I tried mounting the
profiles share manually with a 'net use', and set the hidden attribute on
the desktop.ini files - this worked fine, removing the problem. The trouble
is, WinXP doesn't seem to do this by itself, and I don't want to have to
tell the users to manually do this!

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas on what to do with it -
I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall...

Brian.

--
Brian Ruth,
Department of Anatomy, University College London.