[Samba] samba as client, adding to browse list

Brock Nanson brock at nanson.org
Fri Mar 15 01:08:11 GMT 2002

I suppose the answer to this question may be obvious to many people, but it
was something I couldn't find documented!  I suspect Charles' answer below
would probably solve the problem, but the simple answer (for those people
like me searching the archives) is to install the server end of the package.
In hindsight it's very clear, but not from where I was standing!

Linux/Unix are quiet on TCP/IP networks.  Therefore, why would workstations
advertise their presence if they have nothing to offer?  But, when
configured to behave as a server (even with nothing to serve), the WINS
settings and announce settings suddenly become active, because now there's a
reason for the machine to be seen on the network.  My requirement for
linpopup may be an unusual case as it requires the machine to be seen, even
though it doesn't necessarily provide any services.

I think it would be useful to include this little tidbit in the doc's
somewhere!

Sometimes the act of writing the question helps one to answer it!  Thanks
Charles for your response!

Brock