[Samba] SAMBA PROBLEM ON LINUX

dmdeflui at subcorp.com.au dmdeflui at subcorp.com.au
Thu Mar 14 21:20:21 GMT 2002

Guys,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I am using
Redhat 6.2 Linux and Samba 2.2.1a.  We have Windows NT Workstations and 2000
servers with which we need to talk to.  (Note:  Can't upgrade to Redhat 7.2
or Samba 2.2.2 due to company requirements at least for a few more months.)

I have a problem with a user who is trying to write to a folder called
"qcp_docs" whilst logged in as a user "cmsdocs" to the Redhat 6.2 Linux box
called SERVER1.

The linux directory permissions are 775 for both the cmsdocs and qcp_docs
directories.

The cmsdocs user is a member of the qcp_docs group (and visa versa but only
temporary - I am hoping to remove this requirement (the major user logons
have a group of the same name as their user logon).  All folders have the
user logon owning the directory and files but the group of the files and
folder belongs to a user called webmaster - this cannot be changed due to
software requirements on the server.

The cms_docs user still cannot write to the qcp_docs user's folder, so since
the qcp_docs user's account is not being used by the intended user yet, we
decided to set up a couple of .bat files to allow the user to swap from
qcp_docs to cmsdocs accounts from their PC to copy their html (converted
from word) documents.

The swap from qcp_docs using the following commands works fine:

net use \\SERVER1\IPC$ <\\SERVER1\IPC$>  /delete
net use \\SERVER1\CMSDOCS <\\SERVER1\CMSDOCS>  /delete
net use \\SERVER1\IPC$ <\\SERVER1\IPC$>  /delete
net use \\SERVER1\QCP_DOCS <\\SERVER1\QCP_DOCS>  "passwdgoeshere"
/user:qcp_docs

Unfortunately, the moment the second .bat file is run to set the user logon
back to cms_docs using the following commands:

net use \\SERVER1\IPC$ <\\SERVER1\IPC$>  /delete
net use \\SERVER1\QCP_DOCS <\\SERVER1\QCP_DOCS>  /delete
net use \\SERVER1\IPC$ <\\SERVER1\IPC$>  /delete
net use \\SERVER1\CMSDOCS <\\SERVER1\CMSDOCS>  "passwdgoeshere"
/user:cmsdocs

The user gets the error:
System error 1219 has occurred.
The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Below is an extract of my smb.conf file - removing unrelated users and their
folders:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from w-asc-osb-0844.asc.com.au (69.10.152.99)
# Date: 2001/10/16 13:58:21

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = SAMBA
        netbios name = SERVER1
        server string = Windows NT Server clone
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 0
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        valid users = webmaster,root,cmsdocs,qcp_docs
        write list = webmaster,root,cmsdocs,qcp_docs
        hosts allow = 69.10. 69.20. 69.30. 69.40. 69.50.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        writeable = Yes
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[cmsdocs]
        comment = cmsdocs
        path = /home/httpd/html/asc_web/cms_docs
        username = cmsdocs
        valid users = webmaster,root,cmsdocs,qcp_docs
        write list = webmaster,root,cmsdocs,qcp_docs

[qcp_docs]
        comment = qcp_docs
        path = /home/httpd/html/asc-e/qcp/qcp_docs
        invalid users = newsletter,finance,sscc,irc
        valid users = webmaster,root,qcp_docs,cmsdocs
        write list = webmaster,root,qcp_docs,cmsdocs
        writeable = Yes

Regards,
Desiree M. de Fluiter
Database Administrator
Australian Submarine Corporation Pty Ltd
Mersey Road
Outer Harbor  SA  5018
Australia
Telephone:      +61 08 8348 7724
Fax:            +61 08 8348 7001

Dew knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl yore mistakes." - Brendan
Hills

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible
for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you
have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by
return e-mail and delete this message.