[Samba] Re: Network Path could not be found on HP with XP

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Thu Mar 14 15:38:04 GMT 2002

Problem was an HP EPC-43 that interacted with Windows shares, but couldn't
mount Samba exported shares, for which it always reported "Network path
could not be found".

Turns out that HP ships the machine with a registry entry setting the
"Node Type" to "Peer to Peer", and this made the Samba share invisible to
the HP system under the netbios name. It was visible if we used the DNS
name of the Samba server (something we didn't know when I posted the
original query). The cure was to remove the superfluous registry entry.
Here are details in case anyone is interested: