[Samba] smbd and nmbd

Kerns, Mike mike.kerns at boeing.com
Thu Mar 14 08:52:30 GMT 2002

Hiya!

We start them from inetd.  The difference we found was in some syntax in the
/etc/services file.  This is on HP-UX 11.0, YMMV.

This doesn't work, notice the underbar in the service name (default HP
entries)

netbios_ns   137/tcp                 # NetBIOS Name Service
netbios_ns   137/udp                 #
netbios_dgm  138/tcp                 # NetBIOS Datagram Service
netbios_dgm  138/udp                 #
netbios_ssn  139/tcp                 # NetBIOS Session Service
netbios_ssn  139/udp                 #

And this works (note the hyphen in the service name)

# Samba netbios daemons
netbios-ssn     139/tcp                         # Samba
netbios-ns      137/udp                         # Samba

inetd -c and they started perfectly.

HTH/HAND,

Mike

With every halting step I take, I hang by a thread that will not break
                                                 -- Phil Keaggy