[Samba] Re: Oplocks problems with samba.

Federico Sevilla III jijo at leathercollection.ph
Thu Mar 14 08:06:04 GMT 2002

Wolfgang,
(cc Linux XFS list)
(cc Samba list)

Quoting wolfgang.glas at ev-i.at:
> I just found you message in the samba mailing list archives and foiund
> out, that we have a very similar problem. We are using samba-2.2.1a on a
> kerenl-2.4.16 and we use reiserfs.
> We also experience data corruption with messages like:
>
> [2002/03/14 15:15:26, 0]
> smbd/oplock_linux.c:linux_release_kernel_oplock(211)
>   release_kernel_oplock: Error when removing kernel oplock on file
> Allplot/PRJ/n0000329.prj/tb000264.000, dev = 3a06, inode = 65854. Error
> was Bad file descriptor

Do you get this error only when simultaneously working on files via NFS? Or also
when NFS is inactive and it is only Samba at work?

We are currently using Samba 2.2.3a with Linux kernel 2.4.18-xfs. By disabling
oplocks completely we have gotten rid of the oplock_break problems that I
reported, and so far have not had a single issue of data corruption. The speed
penalty has gone relatively unnoticed, but perhaps this is because our server is
very well-equipped relative to the workstation demands and usage patterns.

> We also found, that transferring large files over samba over NFS to server
> completely locks the network for seconds, as if a kernel thread has been
> locked. Finally, I compared reiserfs/jfs/ and ext3 and found out, that
> only ext3 is fully interoperable with NFS and samba. So you should also
> check at your site, if the third party FS (in your case XFS) causes the
> problem.

I am sending the XFS list a copy of this reply. It's interesting to note the
interoprability problems with NFS and Samba with ReiserFS, JFS, and perhaps XFS.
I cannot be sure about XFS because the NFS installation in our system does not
"cover" the data files of Samba, where the corruption occurs. We have NFS that
is used to export /home. Otherwise the only way to get to the data through the
network is via Samba.

> If it does, I think we should join our forces to report the problem to the
> kernel/reiserfs/jfs/xfs mailing lists, because I get the impression, that there
> are some severe problems with 3rd party filesystems in the 2.4.x Kernels
> related to NFS/samba/oplocks. (Unfortunately, I'm not a kernel hacker, but
> hopefully we reach an informed person on any of these channels).

I have quoted your message in full, in the hopes that people on both the Samba
and XFS lists will get hints and maybe people with similar problems can chime in.

 --> Jijo

Federico Sevilla III  :: jijo at leathercollection.ph
Network Administrator :: The Leather Collection, Inc.
GnuPG Key: http://jijo.leathercollection.ph/jijo.gpg