[Samba] Some users can't log in -- server shows username as "nobody"

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Thu Mar 14 07:03:06 GMT 2002

Okay, this is a recurring problem that really has me frustrated.

I have a samba server that's using security=server.  There are four people
who use it.  It works fine for three of them, but the fourth one gets
endlessly prompted for his password and is never allowed to log in.  All are
from NT 4.0 clients.

What's really puzzling is that when I look at the log at debug level 2, I
get the following when he tries to log in:

"Invalid username/password for game-devel [nobody]"

No matter what he puts in the "user" field of the password dialog, Samba is
trying to log him in as nobody!  What's going on?

David Brodbeck, System Administrator
InterClean Equipment, Inc.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
davidb at mail.interclean.com