[Samba] Windows 98 and samba

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed Mar 13 18:04:03 GMT 2002

It might be possible to avoid messing with your windows98 registry.
You can have customized smb.conf's using a config parameter, depending
on the identity of your client. One version of your smb.conf would have
encrypted passwords, one version would not.

You could use a config parameter based on a macro. Below is a list
of macros on my machine when a client connects. Even if you don't go
this route for the password problem, you might find customized config
statements useful for other things.
 eg:
   config file = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%I
(assuming you have static ip's, or at least, your windows98 machines will
have a particular range of ip's.)

Joel

PS: In case you are wondering, I use guest logons with guest account = ftp.

client machine NetBios name = hammer7 (%m)
Primary goup name of U = ftp (%G)
IP address of client = 192.168.0.7 (%I)
Netbios name of server = jhammer6 (%L)
Internet DNS of client= hammer7.jhammer.org (%M)
NIS home directory= jhammer6 (%N)
Protocal level = NT1 (%R)
Current time and date= 2002/03/09 16:42:12 (%T)
Session user name (one the client wanted)= jlh (%U)
Architecture of remote machine= Samba (%a)
Process ID of current server= 11190 (%d)
Internet DNS hostname of server= jhammer6 (%h)
Path of services home directory from NIS= (%p)
Samba version= 2.2.1a (%v)
Home directory of user in u= /home/ftp (%H)
Root directory of current service = / (%P)
Name of current service = public (%S)
Primary group name of u in share = ftp (%g)
User name of current service = ftp (%u)