[Samba] Deletion of read-only files

James Nord teilo at cdt.luth.se
Wed Mar 13 15:29:05 GMT 2002

Ben van der Merwe wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am experiencing great difficulty configuring the following:
>
>1. Users who create files in a share, must have full rights.
>
>2. Other users must be able to all view files, but not edit or delete them, i.e. everyone has read-only access to all files except those they created themselves (which they can modify and delete).
>
>The following definition allows the read-only part (files cannot be modified), but other users can still delete the files! What am I doing wrong?

You should include the sticky bit on the directories.

force directory mode = 2770

find /mnt/store/Work -type d -ok chmod +t {} \;

STICKY DIRECTORIES
       When the sticky bit is set on a directory, files  in  that
       directory may only be unlinked or renamed by root or their
       owner.  (Without the sticky bit, anyone able to  write  to
       the  directory can delete or rename files.) The sticky bit
       is commonly found on directories, such as /tmp, which  are
       world-writable.