[Samba] Win2k/Printer Installs

Steven Law steve at maths.ed.ac.uk
Wed Mar 13 04:18:06 GMT 2002

Hi,

I've been reading the docn on installing printers via the samba server
and I find it all rather confusing so I'm hoping some nice person out
there can explain it a bit more clearly.

I have Win2k clients/Solaris 7 Samba server (2.2.2).  What I want to get
working is client PCs installing printers as easily as possible (i.e.
so that our users can do it and not me !).  I have installed network
printers as administrator on Win2k clients and it works (although we get
a status message of "Access Denied, Cannot Connect" ?) but when a new
printer arrives I want to make the process easier.  I guess ideally I'd
like the user to look on the share, double click a printer and the
printer & drivers get installed.

- I'm not sure what I should define in my smb.conf ?
- What directory structure I should have on the samba print$ share ?
- Instead of using imprints (which I couldn't get to work), can I use
the exe bundles supplied at hp.com ?

Hope someone can help

Regards
Steve Law
--
Computing Officer
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Edinburgh University.
Phone: 0131 650 5037 , Email: steve at maths.ed.ac.uk
Home Page: http://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/~steve