[Samba] Using Backup from Windows -> Samba : >4GB file limit?

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Mar 12 17:23:03 GMT 2002

As I recall, there is a file size limit with smbfs. You might have success
by running backup software from your samba server. Tar works fine. Just
mount your windows drive as a share. I have found that over a gig or so
I need to use a multivolume backup. I used the split command:
 tar -blah options | split -options

I notice there is a multivolume option for tar, which I haven't used.

Maybe your windows software has a multivolume option, too.

The simplest thing to do is just cp -au from your samba server. That would
could backup up everything on your windows hard drive. It would involve no
fancy compression, etc, and so your chance of data loss is minimal. And,
the -u only updates new files, so, the second time you backup it goes
very fast.  The only drawback is that files you erase on your windows
hard drive will continue to exist on your samba server. This may be seen
as a bug or a feature. You could write a script to compare the files on your
windows box and your backup directory on samba and mv files off to some deep
storage when the files no longer exist on your windows drive.

Others swear by rsync.

I use both the multivolume tar and the cp -au methods. cp -au is much simpler
to implement.

Joel