[Samba] Not able to connect to shares w/ cli

Sean Hendershot shendershot at peerlessmfg.com
Tue Mar 12 14:45:03 GMT 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 10:49:21PM +0100, Urban Widmark wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Sean Hendershot wrote:
>
> > this is the command:
> > shendershot at smh:~$ mount //example/example_i
> > 2033: Connection to example failed
> > SMB connection failed
>
> I get this error if I try to connect to a server that is down or
> unreachable. What is the output if you add debug=3 to the list of options?
>
> One reason for this could be that it can't find the ip to match
> "example". My guess would be a configuration error, possibly related to
> name lookups?
Yeah, seems like it. Output from mount when debug=3 is:
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name example<0x20>
resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name example<0x20>
resolve_wins: Attempting wins lookup for name example<0x20>
resolve_wins: WINS server == <127.0.0.1>
bind succeeded on port 0
Negative name query response, rcode 0x03: The name requested does not
exist.
name_resolve_bcast: Attempting broadcast lookup for name example<0x20>
bind succeeded on port 0
2621: Connection to example failed
SMB connection failed

I would assume that it fails because example is on a different subnet
than my machine, but we are in the same workgroup.

> > This is not a new install but an upgrade (using Debian Sid).  It was
> > working fine before last week; I would suspect the upgrade was bad
> > but since I can mount win9x shares on the same machine using gnomba
> > (a gtk samba frontend) I don't think that is the case.
>
> It's a different program. It could certainly be that only the samba parts
> were affected by your upgrade.
>
> When you say "samba frontend", do you mean smbclient frontend? Does it use
> smbclient as a program, libsmb or does it contain it's own smb code?
>
> If it has a statically linked libsmb (if that is even available as a
> separate lib) or it's own code then obviously it won't be affected by
> changes to samba.
>
> Same arguments apply if they have different configuration files.

From what I can tell, gnomba calls smbmount.  The only difference is
that gnomba passes the ip address as an option and I don't.  I would
like to find a way not to have to since I haven't in the past.

Thanks,

sean