[Samba] Not able to connect to shares w/ cli

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Mar 12 13:56:05 GMT 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Sean Hendershot wrote:

> this is the command:
> shendershot at smh:~$ mount //example/example_i
> 2033: Connection to example failed
> SMB connection failed

I get this error if I try to connect to a server that is down or
unreachable. What is the output if you add debug=3 to the list of options?

One reason for this could be that it can't find the ip to match
"example". My guess would be a configuration error, possibly related to
name lookups?

> This is not a new install but an upgrade (using Debian Sid).  It was
> working fine before last week; I would suspect the upgrade was bad
> but since I can mount win9x shares on the same machine using gnomba
> (a gtk samba frontend) I don't think that is the case.

It's a different program. It could certainly be that only the samba parts
were affected by your upgrade.

When you say "samba frontend", do you mean smbclient frontend? Does it use
smbclient as a program, libsmb or does it contain it's own smb code?

If it has a statically linked libsmb (if that is even available as a
separate lib) or it's own code then obviously it won't be affected by
changes to samba.

Same arguments apply if they have different configuration files.

/Urban