[Samba] Problems printing to Samba printer from W2K (Very Slow)

Steven Mackenzie sjm at activenavigation.com
Tue Mar 12 09:41:07 GMT 2002

> Thanks for the info. Did switching back to 2.2.2
> eliminate the slow printing altogether, or just
> improve it a little? If it fixed it entirely, what

It fixed it completely for me.

> settings did you use in your smb.conf file? I would be
> particularly interested in the disable spoolss and use
> client driver settings.

No, I didn't disable anything. Here is a log file from a print server on my
network. It shares a single printer, called Laser, and it has an admin share
called print$ where Windows print drivers are stored.

I installed the print *drivers* via the Windows print properties dialogue,
using the slightly non-inuitive instructions given in the Samba docs. (See
the section "Setting Drivers for Existing Printers" in the "Printing Support
in Samba 2.2.x" document.)

[global]
 workgroup = ACTIVENAV
 server string = Test Samba Server %v
 security = DOMAIN
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 password server = *
 log level = 1
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 max log size = 50
 load printers = No # dont share all printers listed by lpstat
 printcap name = lpstat
 dns proxy = No
 printer admin = @adm
 printing = cups

[print$]
 path = /var/lib/samba/printers
 write list = @adm root

[Laser]
 comment = Drivers In Test for the HP Laser Printer
 path = /var/spool/samba
 create mask = 0700
 guest ok = Yes # This bit isnt needed - everyone is logged on
 printable = Yes
 print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side printer
drivers

> As for using Type 3 drivers, Lexmark only released a
> combined NT/2000 driver. However, installing the same
> driver NT and 2000 gives different options in the
> printer property window. Maybe the Lexmark setup
> includes both driver types and the OS is smart enough
> to grab the right one (I am talking doing a regular
> install on the OS, not pulling the driver from the
> Samba server).

You can tell if you have 2 and 3 types by looking at
\\server\print$\w32x86

There will be subdirectories for 2 and 3 (with driver files in) if drivers
of those types have been installed ...

> Thanks for you help.

Well, I hope it is helpful ...