[Samba] What are these programs?

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Tue Mar 12 05:49:02 GMT 2002

Okay, here goes...

HEAD - the most current version of Samba, currently 3.0 in beta.

TNG - a branch of samba that split because of politics mainly (see my .sig)
more info at http://www.samba-tng.org/

Slackware - a distribution of Linux, such as Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE or
Debian are.

Winbind - part of samba - it links samba servers and NT PDCs together,
allowing smoother integration between Samba servers and M$ ones.

just in case :

nmbd - part of samba, name resolution - similar job to DNS.
smbd - part of samba, actually does the hard work of sharing.

P.S. Oh, and it's not a newsgroup - politics again, but some people would
be offended by it being called one.

Thomas, Daniel J. wrote:
 >I've seen many different samba related pieces of software named through this
 >newsgroup and I'm afraid I don't understand the different between them all.
 >Could someone clarify these for me?

Martyn Ranyard

I am not a member of the samba team,
and anything that I say may not be as