[Samba] Printing HOWTO

Homann, Mathias Mathias.Homann at airbus.dasa.de
Tue Mar 12 03:42:04 GMT 2002

Isamar Maia wrote:

> Is There any Printing Howto for Samba?
>
> I have in my network:
>
> ->  a Linux box with BSD lpd working.
> -> a Win2k PDC server
> -> WinNt and Win98 Workstations
>
> I want to be able to make the domain users to print in my Linux box...
>
> Some doubts:
> 1) Do I need to logon my Linux box into the domain ?
> 2) Do I need to use winbindd to authenticate domain users for the print
> service?

Depends, I'd say.
If you want only 'registered' NT accounts to be able to print, You'd
have to join the samba server to the NT domain, install a 'add user
script', and set security = domain or security = server.
If you just want anybody in the LAN to be able to print, even people
with NO valid nt account, just fire up samba, configure printers, set
the printers to 'guest ok = yes'. Be sure to map the guest account to
some unix account who is allowed to print. see the smb.conf manpage.

bye,
	MH